What we all need is a simple, fuss-free way to make the laundry chore both easier and effective, right? When you consider this, it is easy to see why laundry detergent sheets are rapidly gaining popularity over traditional detergents.
But what most people are asking is ‘do laundry detergent sheets work’. That’s exactly what you are going to find out in this laundry detergent sheets review alongside many other interesting facts about them.
What Are Laundry Detergent Sheets?
Laundry detergent sheets are paper-thin, dissolvable sheets that have all the necessary cleaning ingredients suspended in a biodegradable resin. These tiny sheets can completely replace the traditional liquid or powder detergent.
Laundry detergent sheets are lightweight and compact, as well as being low-waste. There is zero need for a detergent jug or scoop and their cardboard packaging is completely recyclable.
Do Laundry Detergent Sheets Work?
Yes, laundry detergent sheets really work! While the idea of a detergent in a sheet may seem strange, they are just as effective as a powder or detergent. Laundry detergent sheets use targeted ingredients in a concentrated, non-toxic format, to optimize your wash results, by lifting stains and washing them away - not just covering them!
Are They Eco-Friendly?
Just like any product, even if they claim to be eco friendly, it is important to check the ingredients and packaging. Greenwashing is sadly quite common in the laundry detergent space - meaning you may be sold an ‘eco-friendly product’ but it’s in plastic packaging or has questionable ingredients.
Take for instance the Tide Eco-Box, snappy advertising tells you the packaging is made with less plastic. However, the contents are still not eco-friendly and the packaging still contains plastic - just 60% less than usual. Not really deserving of using ‘Eco’ in its name, right?
How Easy to Use Are Detergent Sheets?
Laundry detergent sheets are the zero mess, no fuss option that leaves nothing behind except clean laundry. There is no need for added softeners, no gloopy detergent messes or powder spills, and no need to clean your machine which makes them dead easy to use.
Once you have carefully opened the pack, being sure not to damage the sheets, simply follow these three easy steps:
- Take one to three sheets, depending on how soiled your laundry is. One laundry detergent sheet is perfect for a normal load and up to three is ideal for heavy loads like sheets and towels.
- Place the sheet/s in with your washing, no need to pre-dissolve, bury or place in the detergent drawer (front loaders).
- Choose your wash cycle, (laundry detergent sheets work well in hot or cold water), press start and that’s it!
How to Choose the Best Laundry Detergent Sheets?
If you are considering giving this product a chance, here are the things to look for when picking the best laundry detergent sheets for the first time:
- Compostable or recyclable cardboard packaging. Buying in recyclable plastic is still not ideal. The goal is to avoid plastic altogether.
- Know the ingredients, avoid anything with phosphates, palm oil, formaldehyde, dioxanes, and ammonium among others. Lear more about the ingredients to avoid in our dedicated blog on this topic.
- Choose products that are formulated to work in cold water, as this expends less energy.
- Choose biodegradable over degradable, as degradable means, it just breaks down into smaller parts and continues to pollute our waterways.
Reasons to Switch to Laundry Detergent Sheets
The good news is that laundry detergent sheets are for everyone. They work in cold water, on linens, whites, darks, heavily soiled sports gear or work clothes, and more.
Consider switching to laundry detergent sheets if you value the following:
- They are perfectly suited to all skin types as they contain no heavy fragrance or harsh chemicals.
- They are septic and aquatic life safe.
- They are compact, lightweight, and space-saving - you can even take them traveling!
- Zero mess and zero waste, so you will only be cleaning your clothes, not having to scrub your laundry shelves or machine.
- Being non-toxic, they are safe for homes with children and pets. Did you know Pods are a leading cause of poisonings in the USA?
- They protect you and your family against unwanted chemical exposure.
Are Detergent Sheets The Optimal Solution For Sustainable Laundry?
Yes! Even taking away the benefits to aquatic life due to non-toxic ingredients, laundry detergent sheets are infinitely more sustainable than the alternatives.
There is less water in production, a lowered carbon footprint for shipping, and no energy expenditure needed to clean residues out of wastewater. Of course, the total avoidance of plastic is also another reason they are so sustainable.
Some laundry detergent sheets, such as these, also have a significantly reduced ingredients list, with most ingredients being sustainably derived from plants. Fewer chemicals also results in less energy expenditure in production lines and less waste.
The Final Word
There really is no reason not to switch to laundry detergent sheets. They clean effectively without any of the negatives associated with other detergent options. There is nothing to lose and so much to gain, use laundry detergent sheets to remove marks from your clothes and leave no lasting mark on the planet.
If you want to keep your clothes clean, your family safe, and the environment happy, check out these laundry detergent sheets by Kind Laundry.